In the event it becomes necessary to close the University
because of an emergency or extraordinary event, such as severe
weather, notice of such a closing or a delayed opening will be
available to the University community through several sources:
- A toll-free number, 1 (888) STJ-2499, will carry detailed
information. Please DO NOT call the Office of Public Safety on any
of the St. John’s campuses, as these calls tie up the lines for
- The homepage of the St. John's Web site will carry a written
notice with the same information provided by the 1-800 number given
- Area television and radio stations will include St. John’s in
their listing of school closings and delayed openings. These
include WINS 1010 AM and WCBS 880 AM, which make recurring
announcements throughout the day, usually beginning around 5
- Text and voice messaging may be employed in case of an
emergency on or around one or more St. John’s campuses.
- Should the decision to close the University occur during the
work/school day, other means of communication may also be used.
These include the Audix phone system, email and the campus digital
If the emergency or event occurs during business hours, senior
management will make a decision on the best time to close based on
the emergency conditions, class schedules, exams and other
scheduled University functions, which will be communicated via the
channels as outlined above.
Questions around closing can be directed to 1-888-9STJOHNS