Graduate Responsibilities on
- Arrive at your assembly location by no later than 8:15
- Follow the line-up, processional, and recessional instructions
of your academic deans, marshals and University Events
- Follow the instructions for the calling of your name as you are
asked to walk across the stage.
- Wear your academic attire (gown, hood, and mortarboard) to the
Commencement Ceremony. Your tassel should be on the right
- Wear comfortable footwear and clothing, bring sunscreen and
sunglasses. It is strongly recommended not to bring personal
- Once directed to your row in the graduate seating area,
remain standing until the end of the Invocation.
- Graduates will be provided water and, if needed, a poncho.
If you need assistance during Commencement, please locate your
dean or a University Host wearing a red St. John's shirt or a
Public Safety Officer.
- Graduates' names will be scrolled on the large viewing screens.
As the graduate's name is announced, their name will appear on the
screen and the graduate will begin to walk across the stage to
greet their dean.
- Graduates are expected to return to their seats for the
remainder of the ceremony and to process out together with their
Assembly and Line Up
Locations for Graduates
- There is no rehearsal for the Commencement Ceremony.
- Each school/college lines up in a different location. See below
for specific assembly locations by school/college.
- The academic deans and marshals will be in each assembly area
to line up graduates in strict alphabetical order to be called by
name on stage.
*All students must be in their assigned location
St. John's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Graduate Students~ Marillac Hall,
1st Floor Corridor
- Undergraduate Students~ Marillac Hall,
2nd Floor Corridor
The School of Education
- All Graduates~ St. Vincent Hall,
1st Floor Corridor
The Peter J. Tobin College of Business
- Graduate Students ~ D'Angelo Center, 2nd
- Undergraduate Students~ St. Albert Hall,
Basement & 1st Floor Corridors
College of Pharmacy and Health
- All Graduates ~St. Albert Hall, 2nd
& 3rd Floor Corridors
College of Professional Studies
- All Graduates~ Marillac Hall, 3rd
Student Marshals and Student
Medalists (Gold, VMA, OSA)
- Check in with the University Events captain in Newman Hall,
- Once briefed in Newmall Hall, you will be directed to return to
your assembly and line up area.
By 8:15 a.m.
- Check in with your deans in y our school/college assembly and
line up area.
Student and Faculty Procession to the Great Lawn Begins
- The academic procession will begin on either side of
the Great Lawn. Students will enter through the center aisle
of the graduate seating area.
- The ceremony will officially begin as soon as all graduates and
faculty have reached their seats and the members of the
Presidential Party have reached the stage.
- The schools and colleges will process in and be seated as
~ The School of Education
~ College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
~ The Peter J. Tobin College of
~ College of Professional Studies
~ St. John's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- The bookstore will be open on May 18 from 12 - 6 p.m. and May
19 from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.