- Arrive at your assembly location by no later than 8:30
- Follow the line-up, processional and recessional instructions
of your academic deans, marshals and University Events staff.
- Follow the instructions for the calling of your name as you are
asked to walk across the stage.
- Wear your academic attire (gown, hood and mortarboard) to the
Commencement Ceremony. Your tassel should be on the right
- Wear comfortable footwear and clothing, bring sunscreen and
sunglasses. It is strongly recommended not to bring personal
- Once directed to your row in the graduate seating area, remain
standing until the end of the Invocation.
- Graduates will be provided water and, if needed, a
If you need assistance during Commencement,
please locate a University Host wearing a red St. John's shirt or a
Public Safety Officer.
- The names of graduates will be called by school/college and
degree. Before graduates cross the stage, they will receive a
diploma case and have the opportunity to greet his or her dean on
- Graduates are expected to return to their seats for the
remainder of the ceremony and to process out together with their
- Note that actual diplomas will be distributed beginning June 19
by your school/college dean’s
Assembly and Line Up Locations by
- There is no rehearsal for the Commencement Ceremony.
- Each school/college will line up in the Campus Center, Upper
- The academic deans for each school/college will be in the
assembly area to line up graduates in strict alphabetical order to
be called by name on stage.
- All Graduate and Undergraduate Students check in at your
school/college assembly and line up area
Student Marshals and Student
- Check in with your school/college dean in the assembly and line
up area within the Campus Center, Upper Level
- Check in with the Event Staff Captain in the Campus Center,
Upper Level AFTER checking in with your school/college dean.
- Once briefed, you will be directed to return to your line up
Student and Faculty Procession to
Great Lawn Begins
- The academic procession will begin from the Campus Center,
- Students will enter the seating area through the center
- The ceremony will officially begin as soon as all graduates and
faculty have reached their seats and the members of the
Presidential Party have reached the
- The schools/colleges will process in the following order
followed by the
Right Side ~ Facing the stage
~ St. John's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences -
~ The Peter J. Tobin College of Business - Graduate &
Left Side ~ Facing the stage:
~ The School of Education - Graduate & Undergraduate
~ College of Professional Studies ~ Graduate &
- The bookstore will be open on May 18 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.