July 27, 2009
Robin Gorman Newman '87MBA, love coach and author of the books
How to Marry A Mensch: The Love Coach’s Guide to Finding Your
Mate and How to Meet a Mensch in New York shares advice on how to
meet the love of your life.
You can meet the love of your life at any stage in your life but
your head has to be in the right place. There is a big difference
between saying you want to find someone and really acting like you
want to. The first thing a person needs is clarity about what they
Here are some steps I give to help a person get to that
1. Ask yourself what it is you need, what you can live with and
what you can live without.
2. Put all that down on paper because there is something about
seeing it in print which really helps to narrow the focus.
3. Once you have it all written down, cut the list in half
because you are never going to find everything that you are looking
4. Really assess what your efforts have been thus far, what has
worked for you and what hasn’t and why. Do you have a pattern when
it comes to relationships?
5. Take a hard look at yourself and be able to change those
things about yourself that just aren’t working.
6. Broadcast to your friends and family that you are looking.
You have to put yourself out there.
7. Change doesn’t come overnight, but just being able to admit
that you have made wrong choices in the past, or, no choices at
all, is a start.
8. Cut yourself some slack and don’t obsess over it. Like the
old song says "You can’t hurry love."