The program offers traditional scholarship in English and
American literatures, world literatures written in English, theory,
composition and cultural studies. It combines these areas of
inquiry with a particular emphasis on pedagogical training and
research to prepare candidates for teaching these areas in four-
and two-year colleges as well as secondary schools. The
program combines these areas of inquiry, allowing candidates to
emphasize pedagogical training and research to prepare them for
teaching in two- and four-year colleges as well as in secondary
The program will prepare graduates to:
Demonstrate a highly developed knowledge
of leading theoretical and critical methodologies
- Execute original analyses of various theoretical and critical
concepts, schools in formal papers and oral presentations.
- Apply theory to literary and cultural texts in formal papers
and oral presentations.
- Conduct research in composition theory.
Demonstrate development of a personal
teaching philosophy that recognizes the history and current state
of the profession ofpteaching English.
- Conduct research in the history of English studies.
- Present a teaching philosophy in the context of the history of
the Profession in formal papers and oral presentations.
- Develop a portfolio of syllabi, assignments, presentations, and
Demonstrate a general knowledge of the
historical contexts for the study of literary and cultural
- Conduct original research regarding the historical conditions
of literary texts and present the findings in formal papers and
- Apply theoretical and critical methods to issues of literary
history and present the findings in formal papers and oral
- Evaluate texts by means of historically grounded aesthetic
Articulate and develop relevant contexts
for the study of literature beyond historical contexts and
- Demonstrate awareness of the relation of American and English
literature to globalization and material culture.
- Demonstrate the relation of literary texts and methods to those
of other disciplines.
- Produce creative work that illustrates an appreciation of the
process of writing literary texts.
Demonstrate an expertise in three areas of
- Compile comprehensive and up-to-date reading lists of primary,
as well as secondary and tertiary materials.
- Write answers to a range of questions in comprehensive
Demonstrate professional expertise as a
- Contribute to the profession of English Studies by conducting
original research and scholarship in a book-length