GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR
THE MS PROGRAM
The successful applicant to the MS program will have:
- Earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or
university achieving at least a B (3.0) grade point average (GPA).
- Applicants with less than a 3.0 grade point average will be
considered if they hold an advanced degree with a cumulative GPA of
at least a 3.0.
- Applicants failing to meet the GPA requirement, and who do not
hold an advanced degree, should contact the DLIS office at
(718)990-6200 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for
- Applicants are also required to submit the following in
addition to the application:
- A statement of professional purpose, which should include a
meaningful discussion of what you hope to accomplish with an MLS
from St. John's.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors, instructors, or
persons with whom you have worked in a professional
- Official Transcripts from each institution you have
attended. If you attended St. John’s as an undergraduate
and/or a graduate student, you are NOT required to submit these
- There are other requirements for admission:
- Applicants must also demonstrate, either by their studies or by
their professional experience, a general understanding of computers
and computer technology.
- A $70 application fee, which must be paid when the application
is submitted. We strongly encourage you to pay online at the
time you submit your application. This application fee is
- An interview with the director may be required.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOOL
Applicants intending to complete the New York State Education
Department requirements for certification in School
Librarianship (K-12) must complete, or show evidence of having
APPLICANTS WITH DEGREES FROM
FOREIGN ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS
Applicants with degrees from foreign academic institutions may
be admitted into the Master of Library and Information Science
program provided they meet the University and Division admission
requirements. In addition, the Division requires a combined
score of at least 500 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language
(TOEFL) from applicants whose native language is not English.
Applicants, who do not meet one or more of the criteria above,
may apply for consideration as a non-matriculated student.
REAPPLYING FOR ADMISSION
You must resubmit your application.
Click here for more information. You will also have to
pay the $70 application fee.
Transcripts are held for one year. If you are reapplying within
a one-year period, you NOT need to resubmit transcripts
Click here to learn more about the admissions process for the
We are here to help you! Contact the DLIS office
at (718) 990-6200or e-mail email@example.com.