The Criminal Justice Leadership Program prepares graduates to
enter positions of leadership in their chosen fields. Students
develop a thorough understanding of the theoretical principles of
modern leadership, as well as the innovative techniques needed to
improve an organization’s efficiency, effectiveness and
productivity. They develop the skills necessary to design, assess,
implement, and evaluate policy and learn a variety of analytical
approaches to problem solving and organizational decision-making to
prepare them for the complex multifaceted challenges they will face
as leaders. The importance of leading in an ethical manner is
emphasized, and students practice the skills needed to manage
Demonstrate knowledge of the different
- Describe the research that provides the basis of the
- Identify and analyze the different leadership theories.
- Categorize the theories used to explain different leadership
- Explain the evolution of leadership theories.
- Explain the assumptions that underlie the different theories
fundamentals of leadership.
Demonstrate knowledge of innovative
techniques needed to improve
agency efficiency and effectiveness.
- Describe the techniques that can be used improve employee
- Identify the organizational climates that encourage and promote
- Explain how combining technology and innovation will improve
Demonstrate the ability to design and
- Outline how new policies will be created and implemented to
deal with unexpected and unprecedented events.
- Explain how divergent views will be integrated into the policy
formation and analysis process.
- Identify the policies that will allow the adoption of best
Demonstrate knowledge of a variety of
leadership skills and the important
aspects of successful leadership.
- Identify the importance of communications.
- Identify the channels that will facilitate information sharing
throughout the agency.
- Explain the multifaceted challenges leaders face.
- Describe the different important leadership
Demonstrate the ability to integrate new
and emerging technologies
throughout the agency to improve overall performance.
- Explain a leadership plan necessary to facilitate the
organization’s efforts to adopt new technologies.
- Demonstrate knowledge of emerging and cutting-edge
- Explain how information technology will be used to improve
Understand the important principles of
- Explain the analytical approaches to organizational decision
- Be able to create new partnerships with public and private
- Demonstrate knowledge of good problem solving and decision
- Understand the need for ethical leadership.
- Identify and analyze the functions of leadership.