This department offers a 21-credit Advanced Certificate in
Literacy B-6 or 5-12 leading to professional certification as a
Literacy Specialist. To be eligible for the Advanced Certificate in
Literacy, you must have completed a Master’s Degree in Education
possessing initial teaching certification.
The coursework will provide you with the core Literacy courses
offered in the Master’s program.
If you are a 48-credit Career Change student, the two courses
taken in Literacy can be applied to the Advanced Certificate.
Therefore, Career Change students need to take 15 literacy
- EDU 3220 Approaches, Materials, and
- EDU 3215 Research and practice of Teaching
Writing in General and Inclusive Education
- EDU 3270 Theories of and Strategies for
Teaching Literacy in Content Areas
- EDU 3230 Diagnosis and Recommendations for
Literacy Performance (Prerequisite or Core. 3220 and
- EDU 3240 Literacy and Assessment Strategies
for Diverse Learners (Prerequisite, 3230)
- EDU 3255 Practicum and Seminar in Literacy
Instruction (Pre. Requisite 3230 and 3240
- EDU 3265 Teaching Literacy through
E. Francine Guastello, Ph.D.,
Sullivan Hall G9
8000 Utopia Pkwy
Queens, NY 11439
Kelly K. Ronayne, D.A.
Staten Island Campus
300 Howard Ave.
DaSilva Center 207
Staten Island, NY 10301
Steve Kuntz, Ph. D
Oakdale, NY 11769
Linda J. Faucetta
101 Murray St.
New York, NY 10007