“If they won’t hire me without experience,
how do I get experience?”
The InSIDE St. John’s (Internal Student Internship Discovery
Experience) Program provides first and second year students with
the unique opportunity to gain valuable work experience without
leaving campus. Offered during the fall and spring semesters, the
program places each apprentice with a mentor from one of the
participating University Host Departments. Students may select
those departments of interest to them by reviewing the learning
goals that have been created for each position.
- Experience will take place during the fall or spring semester
(or both) of first and/or second year. 6 hours per week;
unpaid. (First year students may participate in the second
- Experiences will be for a 10 week period each semester (60
- The work will be oriented around a project that the department
will develop with the student.
- Students apply through CareerLink - accessible through St.
John's Central - click on the 'Careers/Internships' tab across the
top of your screen
- Students will attend an orientation hosted by the
University Career Services; and then interview with the
participating University departments.
- Participants will engage in professional development
opportunities (including workshops; guest speakers, etc.).
- Participants will complete evaluations about their
- Open to first and second year St. John’s University
- Student must demonstrate motivation to learn outside of the
classroom, to explore career options and build relationships.
- Commitment to 6 hours per week.
- Understanding and acceptance of responsibility.
- Submission of completed program application to the University
Career Services by the start of the semester in which the student
would like to participate in the program.
Visit CareerLink today to search for
opportunities (keyword: InSIDE) - accessible through St. John's
Central - click on 'Careers/Internships' tab across the top of your